Patent application title: Low Profile Ring Box with Sliding Lid and Pivoting Ring Holder
Matthew Calvin Hinson (Alvin, TX, US)
Mark Ross Andrews (Houston, TX, US)
IPC8 Class: AA45C1116FI
Class name: Special receptacle or package for jewelry
Publication date: 2011-10-06
Patent application number: 20110240492
The invention is a ring box with a low profile, a sliding lid, and a
pivoting ring holder. The sliding lid and pivoting ring holder allow the
ring box to have a low profile. An engagement ring or any other type of
ring can be placed in the pivoting ring holder and temporarily be stored
discreetly in a pant or jacket pocket until it is presented, at which
time the lid is pulled back, the ring in the pivoting ring holder is
pivoted from a horizontal position to a vertical position, and three LEDs
are lit up, shining on the ring being presented.
1. A ring box comprising a ring holder that pivots from a horizontal
position when the device is closed to a vertical or near vertical
position when the device is opened.
2. A ring box recited in claim 1 further comprising a lid that slides into the open position and into the closed position.
3. A ring box recited in claim 1 and in claim 2 wherein the purpose of the device is for the storage, transport, and/or presentation of an engagement ring or any other type of ring or jewelry.
4. A ring box recited in claim 2 wherein the lid that slides open is connected to a base housing part by angled cuts in each part that interlock, keeping the lid from separating from the base housing part and allowing the lid to slide.
5. A ring box recited in claim 1 wherein the ring holder that pivots from a horizontal position when the device is closed to a vertical position when the device is opened is connected to a base housing by means of an axle pin that runs through the ring holder and fits into holes in two blocks on either side of the ring holder.
6. A ring box recited in claim 5 wherein the ring holder that pivots is connected to a pull tab that pulls on the ring holder when the lid is slid to the open position, causing the ring holder to pivot from a horizontal position to a vertical or nearly vertical position.
7. A ring box recited in claim 6 wherein the pull tab is connected to the sliding lid which pulls on the pull tab when the lid is slid into the open position.
8. A ring box recited in claim 1 and in claim 2 further comprising a low profile, more specifically having at least one dimension that measures less than 0.6 inches.
CROSS-REFERENCE TO RELATED APPLICATIONS
 Not Applicable
STATEMENT REGARDING FEDERALLY SPONSORED RESEARCH OR DEVELOPMENT
 Not Applicable
REFERENCE TO SEQUENCE LIST, A TABLE, OR A COMPUTER PROGRAM LISTING COMPACT DISC APPENDIX
 Not Applicable
BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
 In a typical marriage proposal, a man buys an engagement ring and surprises his hopeful bride-to-be, presenting it to her by opening a ring box while down on one knee. The trick is to conceal the ring until the time and place of the presentation. The problem is that almost all ring boxes are too large and clunky to conceal in a pant or coat pocket without being noticed. This problem is addressed with the invention of the Low Profile Ring Box with Sliding Lid and Pivoting Ring Holder.
BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
 The Low Profile Ring Box with Sliding Lid and Pivoting Ring Holder is a new type of ring box both for presentation and storage usage. It is pocket-sized and low profile with a depth of around half of an inch, so it will not be noticed when stored in a pant or coat pocket, thus solving the problem of typical bulky ring boxes by allowing the discreet concealment of an engagement ring until the time and place of presentation.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE SEVERAL VIEWS OF THE DRAWING
 FIG. 1 is a top view of the base housing part.
 FIG. 2 shows a section cut of the base housing part (Ref. FIG. 1).
 FIG. 3 is a back view of the base housing part.
 FIG. 4 is a top view of the base housing part for use as a reference to FIG. 5.
 FIG. 5 shows a section cut of the base housing part (Ref. FIG. 4).
 FIG. 6 shows the guide rail detail where the sliding lid connects to the base housing (Ref. FIG. 5).
 FIG. 7 is a bottom view of the sliding lid part.
 FIG. 8 shows a section cut of the sliding lid part (Ref. FIG. 7).
 FIG. 9 is a top view of the pivoting ring holder part.
 FIG. 10 is a back view of the pivoting ring holder part.
 FIG. 11 shows a section cut of the pivoting ring holder part (Ref. FIG. 9).
 FIG. 12 is a top view of the pull tab part. Part thick ness is 0.0625 inches.
 FIG. 13 is an exploded view of the low profile ring box with sliding lid and pivoting ring holder.
 The parts are labeled as follows: (1)--Aluminum Conductor, (2)--Axle Pin, (3)--Base Housing, (4)--Conductor Spring, (5)--LEDs, (6)--Sliding Lid, (7)--Pivoting Ring Holder, (8)--Pull Tab, (9)--Spring, (10)--Trip Switch, (11)--Wire 1, (12)--Wire 2.
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE PREFERRED EMBODIMENT
 The Low Profile Ring Box with Sliding Lid and Pivoting Ring Holder is designed to be easily and discreetly stored in a coat or pant pocket for the purpose of the presentation of an engagement ring. It can also be used as a ring storage device that easily fits in a purse or hand bag. The assembly has four major parts: the base housing, the sliding lid, the pivoting ring holder, and the pull tab. The base housing has rails that interlock with the sliding lid and act as a guide upon which the sliding lid will slide. The base housing also has two blocks adjacent to each other that have holes in them. These blocks accept the axle pin that holds the pivoting ring holder in place. It is about this axle pin that the pivoting ring holder pivots. The pivoting ring holder pivots when it is pulled back by the pull tab which attaches to the pivoting ring holder via two studs that fit into two holes opposite one another at the back of the pivoting ring holder. The pull tab has a slot in it along which a pull knob on the underside of the sliding lid rides. When the lid slides back to the open position, the knob on its underside pulls on the pull tab, which pulls on the pivoting ring holder, which pivots from 0 degrees (horizontal) to 90 degrees (vertical). The pivoting ring holder is pushed back down to 0 degrees with the assistance of a torsion spring in the axle pin when the sliding lid is pushed back to the closed position. Another feature of the low profile ring box with sliding lid and pivoting ring holder is the LED system. When the sliding lid is opened it triggers a trip switch that closes a circuit containing a small battery, a flat aluminum conductor and three LEDs that shine upon the ring being presented. The LEDs are mounted in the front of the base housing. The base housing and sliding lid can be made of various plastics through injection molding or metals through the die casting process. The pull tab can be made of various plastics through the injection molding or sheet stamping/cutting process. The pivoting ring older needs to be flexible so rings of various sizes will fit into its slot. It can be made of various types of rubber, urethane, or flexible plastic.
Patent applications in class FOR JEWELRY
Patent applications in all subclasses FOR JEWELRY