Patent application title: Nursing Support Pillow for the Breast
Lois Ann Whittaker (Lawrenceville, NJ, US)
IPC8 Class: AA47G910FI
Class name: Beds support for user`s body or part thereof
Publication date: 2011-07-21
Patent application number: 20110173755
A Nursing Breast Support Pillow (referred to as--"support pillow") is
made of washable polyfill material, and is covered with a soft, washable
fabric. The support pillow is designed to assist in breastfeeding a child
by supporting the breast. The support pillow's longest side is placed
underneath the breast, and the shortest side is placed next to the arm
corresponding to the breast with which the child will be feed. This
allows the woman to breastfeed without constantly supporting and
readjusting the breast to keep it aligned with the child. The support
pillow supports the breast and directs the nipple upward to enable proper
breast and nipple positioning allowing the baby to latch onto the nipple
for breastfeeding. The support pillow offers breastfeeding assistance. It
is portable, washable and easy to use.
1. A nursing support pillow for supporting a breast that is placed under
breast while breastfeeding to support the breast,
2. The support pillow of claim 1 is made of cushiony pillow fill material.
3. The support pillow of claim 2, which is comprised of washable, non-allergenic, fill.
4. The support pillow of claim 2, fill has a exterior cover.
5. The support pillow of claim 4, which said cover is made of washable material.
6. The support pillow claim 5, which has exterior cover material that is soft.
7. The support pillow of claim 1 is formed into a three-dimensional, rounded, triangular shape with three unequal sides with the depth being smaller proportionally to the width and height.
8. The support pillow cover of claim 4 is made of three separate pieces sewn into a cover.
9. The support pillow of claim 8, which has an exterior surface that is comprised of two flat planes.
10. The support pillow of claim 8, can be in different proportions to accommodate differing breast sizes, shapes and elasticity.
11. A method for supporting the breast by providing a triangular shaped pillow, which fits within under space of the breast which is being used to keep the breast elevated so the nipple can be easily accessed by the nursing child.
12. A method as in claim 11, wherein the pillow is placed with the longest side under the breast, the 2nd longest toward the floor and the shortest side to the arm nearest the breast being used to feed.
13. A method as in claim 12, wherein the one flat plane faces the body and the second flat plane face outward from the user's body.
14. A method as in claim 12, wherein can be reversed for the opposing breast.
15. A method in claim 11, wherein the hand not holding supporting the child is freed to do other tasks or add additional support to the child.
16. A method in claim 11, wherein the support can also be used to keep breast elevated while using a breast pump.
17. A method in claim 11, wherein the support can also raise breast in order to relieve pressure for a pregnant mom whose baby is still high in their rib cage and causing pain.
BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
 This invention relates generally to the field of support pillows and breastfeeding aids. This particular support pillows is useful in supporting the breast while a woman is breastfeeding a child. As described in U.S. Pat. No. 6,237,599, there is a need for proper support of the breast while nursing a baby, as well as within U.S. Pat No. 7,059,935. The complete disclosures of which are herein incorporated by reference.
 There is a particular need with woman who are large breasted or those who have sagging breasts. This need can increase as the number of children the woman has nursed increases. Breastfeeding with large or sagging breasts, or lowered nipples can be a continual struggle for the period of nursing. This can cause some women to terminate breastfeeding earlier than they would desire or had anticipated.
SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
 This invention relates is an enhanced and improved breast support pillow for a breastfeeding mother. It is placed beneath a woman's breast to maintain proper positioning of the breast as the child nurses. It is designed to be easy to use and maintain. It pushes the breast upward to allow easier latching for breastfeeding child. The triangular geometric shape pushes the breast upward and keeps it in position throughout the period of breastfeeding.
 The support pillow also assist the woman in maintaining a more ergonomic position since she does not need to continually lean over to check and recheck the positioning of her nipple. It also encourages a straighter positioning of the body.
 The dimensions of the support pillow are selected so that the pillow may conveniently fit under the user's breast while also providing the proper position for the breast for nursing. The pillow may be used to free one hand while nursing or it may allow the said hand to better support the child nursing.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS
 FIG. 1--Side view of support pillow in position under breast
 FIG. 2--Front view of support pillow in position under breast
 FIG. 3--Side view of support pillow (flat plane)
 FIG. 4--Black & white photo of side view of support pillow
 FIG. 5--Top view of support pillow
 FIG. 6--Side view of support pillow (narrow, longer side)
 FIG. 7--Side view of support pillow (narrow, smaller side)
 FIG. 8--Baby position to breast
Patent applications in class SUPPORT FOR USER`S BODY OR PART THEREOF
Patent applications in all subclasses SUPPORT FOR USER`S BODY OR PART THEREOF